Proper surgical masks can provide the best protection against the new coronavirus, the Covid-19. Scientists in Hong Kong have released a video showing how people can make their own face masks with cheap household items, when you run out of face masks or can't find or afford them.
Watch the video:
To make a mask, you will need: kitchen roll, strong tissue paper, elastic bands, a hole punch, paper tape, scissors, plastic-coated steel wire, a pair of glasses, plastic file folders and binder clips.
Scientific tests found these home-made masks can offer a certain extent of protection if one doesn’t have a mask at home.
They advise that to make the mask you must:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and clean your items
- Put one piece of kitchen roll, with proper hygiene certification, on top of another
- Place a piece of tissue paper, which will act as the bottom layer of the mask, on top of the two pieces of kitchen roll
- Cut the stack of paper into two
- Use the paper tape to seal off the two sides of the mask
- Make two holes at each sealed side with the punch
- Attach the metallic wire with paper tape to the top edge of the mask to make the nose bridge wire
- Tie four rubber bands through the holes on the mask’s sides
To make an added protective shield to sit on top of the mask you must:
- Cut the file folder into two pieces
- Attach one piece on the edge of the glasses with binder clips
- The shield can be reused after disinfection for each usage